Whistler Blackcomb Hiking Trails Open
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2013
Thanks to the terrific weather Whistler has been receiving the summer alpine trails on Whistler Blackcomb have been fully opened for the season two weeks early. Whistler Blackcomb has over 50 Kilometers of trails elevated at 6000 feet or higher. These trails can be used for hiking, walking or running. The Alpine trails provide amazing views of the Whistler Valley below, glacier fed lakes, fields of flowers, endless mountain ranges, mountain wildlife and much more.
Summer Wildflower Season
One of the big draws to the trails this time of the year is the bloom of the Alpine wildflowers. These beautiful flowers only bloom during a month and half span and have begun their bloom this week. The best place to catch these pretty flowers is on Blackcomb, particularly on Lakeside Loop or Overlord Trail.
Alpine Wonder Routes
To help guests get around the vast array of trails systems on both mountains, Whistler Blackcomb has developed a new series of summer Alpine Wonder Routes. These routes consist of a network of trails, waypoints and stops created to help guest navigate the mountains and discover Whistler Blackcomb's most popular alpine spots. Check out a list of the Alpine Wonder Routes Below
- Alpine Vista Route - The Alpine Vista Route takes guests up the Whistler Village Gondola where they can then board the record-breaking PEAK 2 PEAK Gondola for a lofty journey over the treetops and across the Fitzsimmons Valley to Blackcomb Mountain. From there guests can board two open-air chairlifts for a relaxing trip down to Blackcomb Mountain's Upper Village.
- Top of the World Route - This route takes advanced hikers to the highest points on both Whistler and Blackcomb Mountains, can take up to a full day to complete, and boasts panoramic glacier views in all directions.
- Running the Rooftop Route - This 10km single track route starts at the Roundhouse Lodge on Whistler Mountain and is a dedicated running route offering breathtaking views of Cheakamus Lake and the surrounding peaks of Garibaldi Provincial Park. Recommended for advanced runners who have trail running experience. Runners should also be aware of hikers as they are also permitted on this route.
- Alpine Lakes Loop - This intermediate level hiking trail starts on Blackcomb Mountain's Alpine Walk and flows through a stunning palette of colourful wildflowers and Blackcomb Lake before circling back to the PEAK 2 PEAK Gondola where the loop continues on Whistler Mountain's Harmony Lake Trail.
- Overlord Vista - This challenging full-day hike covers some of Blackcomb and Whistler's longest hiking trails; Overlord, Decker Loop and High Note Trail. The route offers stunning views of the Overlord Glacier, volcanic Black Tusk, Cheakamus Lake and the mountains' various wildlife.
Getting Up There
The Whistler Blackcomb Alpine Trails can be accessed using either the Wizard Express on Blackcomb or the Whistler Village Gondola on Whistler. In order to gain access to the gondola's and trails you must purchase a Whistler Blackcomb Sightseeing Pass. Right now Whistler Blackcomb is running a promotion, if you call and book you're ticket over the phone within 24hrs you can purchase a ticket for $46.95 adult, $23.95 child, $39.95 senior that's good for 2 days. This ticket provides you with complete access to both mountain's and the ability to use the Peak 2 Peak Gondola. For more information on all of the Whistler Blackcomb Alpine Trail Routes head on over to their Hiking and Sightseeing page. If you want to call and book the 2 for 1 deal give them a shout toll free at 1-800-766-0449.
Photo Credit Hikers: Steve Rogers